Dr. A.Ravi Shankar, IPS – Profile
Dr.Ravi Shankar Ayyanar,IPS., (born on 20th October 1968) is working as Additional Director General of Police (Law &Order) in Police Headquarters, Andhra Pradesh. He is a MBBS graduate from JIPMER Pondicherry Central University with Master’s Degree in Police Management from Osmania University and PG Diploma in Hospital and Health Care Management from Symbiosis University.
Early life and Education:
He was born in A.F.STN, Chakeri, Kanpur in Uttarpradesh on 20th October, 1968. His father Shanmugam Ayyannar was a Flight Engineer in the Indian Airforce, flying Helicopters, who holds a record of 10,500 flying hours.
He received his early education in Kendriya Vidyalayas all across the country like Tirunelveli & Nagarcoil in Tamilnadu, Chandimandir in Punjab, Dinjan & Chabua in Assam, Bagdogra in West Bengal and Bangalore etc., and graduated in medicine from JIPMER Pondicherry Central University in 1991, did PG Diploma in Health Care &Hospital Management and Master’s Degree in Police Management in 1996 from National Police Academy, Hyderabad.
After graduating as MBBS doctor worked as a causality Emergency medical officer and handled cases of medical emergencies in JIPMER and also performed more than 250 medico legal autopsies as a certified forensic pathologist and rendered evidence in the courts of law as an autopsy surgeon in Sessions Courts across Pondichery/Tamilnadu.
Career and Work Experience:
Assault Commander – Grey Hounds – 1996
Led the Greyhounds teams for field operations against Maoists in forests of Khammam, Warangal and Adilabad districts.
Asst. Supdt.of Police (ASP) – Bellampalli – Sub Division – 1997 – 98
Led the District Guards teams and combated Urban Guerilla Warfare of CPI Maoist in Singareni Collieries Belt and recovered Arms, Ammunition and Maoist Literature.
Officer on Special Duty (OSD) Operations – Warangal – 1998 – 99
Formulated anti Maoist strategy with legal and organizational framework supported by training programs for policemen. Organised and carried out operations against left wing extremists. Used CESNA aircraft and GPS to map the terrain water points, escape routes, shelter places, Training camps of Maoists by flying across districts of North Telangana and Chhattisgarh border.
SP Nizamabad – 1999 – 2002
As SP Nizamabad District, he supervised the investigation of Jehadi case against Ashique Ali a resident agent from Pakistan and secured conviction for life U/S 121 IPC, 121 (a) IPC and Sec 14 of Foreigners Act 1946.
As SP Nizamabad busted the Indian Mohammade Muslimeen Mujahideen (IMMM) module on 6th April, 2006 where in the commander of the module Azam Ghori was neutralized. In the subsequent investigation all the members of the module spread over Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, U.P and Delhi were arrested, charge sheeted and convicted.
He did pioneering work in preparing the software, networking and computerizing the entire district’s police stations and head office in 2002, which finds place in the first “Compendium of best police practices” brought out by the National Police Academy and published in the I.T. Journal of Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI)– 2004 and laid the foundation for I.T Application in policing. Two batches of IPS probationers spent a day in Nizamabad along with Director, NPA for hands on experience in 2002.
The educational documentary film “BANAMATHI” on social vice “SORCERY” produced by him won the Govt. of A.P’s Golden Nandi award for the “Best socially relevant documentary film “ 2001. He also produced documentaries to educate the masses on bad effects of social vices like Insolvency Petition (IP) on farmers suicides, Jogini (village concubinage), Drugs menace, Naxalism and rehabilitation, Nariyagam (Women issues).
DCP North Zone, Hyderabad -2002
As DCP North zone, Hyderabad (2002) he set up E-secured colonies, centralized I.T. Enabled I.P address based lock-ups and interrogation centres to reduce illegal detention, custodial deaths and promote transparent arrest and custody management.
SP Guntur – 2002-2004
Planned and led operations of Grey Hounds and District Guards to successfully combat the Guerrilla Warfare of CPI (Maoist). Also kept close watch on Deendar Anjuman out fit suspects in Guntur District who caused blasts in Churches in South India.
He was associated with the investigation of the case of IED blast and attack on the life of former Chief minister of Andhra Pradesh Mr.N.Chandra Babu Naidu by the CPI (Maoist).
United Nations Mission in Kosovo – 2004 – 2005
- Investigator – Serious Crimes Investigation Unit:
As Team leader/Investigator of Serious Crimes Investigation Section, investigated FOUR criminal cases i.e., murder of Kosovo Police Service (KPS) police officer, another case of illegal possession of weapons wherein rocket launchers and Ak-47’s were recovered from an abandoned car, attempted murder on the President Mr.Haradinaj of Kosovo & a case of attempted murder on a local political leader. In war crimes investigations conducted exhumations of mass graves, assisted Dr. Sam from Srilanka in forensic autopsy along with anthropologists to establish the identity of a missing skier from Austria for years based on the pace maker (heart) recovered through autopsy along with oral dentures. Maintained Liaison with the office of the prosecutors, investigation judge& trial judge to implement Kosovo Criminal Procedure Code & the Penal Code correctly.
- Assistant Coordinator – Regional Crime Squads – UNMIK – KOSOVO:
Attended the CIVIL MILITARY LIASION meetings representing the Directorate of Major Crimes to coordinate the operational activities with the KFOR, UNICEF, UNHCR, Embassy, KOCB (Kosovo Organized Crime Bureau), share intelligence etc. Maintained strict confidentiality in matters of criminal intelligence. Coordinated with the INTERPOL to nab the Kosovo wanted criminals involved in Human trafficking, political murders, counterfeiting currency etc. Coordinated with the War crimes section and the Missing Persons Section for the unidentified bodies and exhumed bodies from mass graves. Acted as a resource person to assist in the medico legal autopsies as a certified forensic pathologist. Developed a manual for investigative guidelines and procedures for the 5 regional crime squads across Kosovo.
AIG Law and Order(L&O) Hyderabad – 2005 – 2006
Monitored the day to day law & order activities emerging in the state and prepared operational advisories to the chief of police in districts. Coordinated replies to the legislative assembly/ council on police matters.
Special Intelligence Branch (SIB) – 2006-2008
Investigated cases of illegal manufacture of the ROCKET LAUNCHERS and 2 inch MORTARS by the banned CPI (Maoist), wherein the manufacturing dens were maintained secretly in states of Tamilnadu, Madhya Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh. Used lawful interception technology both internet as well as mobile phones for combating Maoist activities successfully.
Addl. Director ACB (Anti Corruption Bureau) – 2008 – 2009
Investigated anti-corruption cases (disproportionate assets cases to the tune of several crores of rupees, laying traps, criminal misconduct cases, misappropriation, money laundering etc) as Additional Director of the Anti-Corruption Bureau, Andhra Pradesh.
D.I.G Karimnagar Range/Warangal Range – 2009 – 2010 As DIG Karimnagar Range and Warangal Range, he handled the Telangana Separate State Agitation tactfully in Adilabad, Karimnagar, Khammam & Warangal districts.
DIG-National Investigation Agency(2010-2015)- As head of Southern Headquarters of NIA, investigated and filed Charge sheets in major terror blast cases carried out by Indian Mujahedeen (I.M.) and others across India, fake Indian currency notes cases, terror finance cases with national and international linkages, busted spy networks, small arms smuggling pan-India networks, Maoist landmine blasts cases, Italian Marines case and pre-empted espionage cases with national security implications. Also secured convictions in many cases of which Hyderabad (Dilsukhnagar) blast case ended in capital punishment for all five accused in 2016.
- Dilsukhnagar Blast
- FICN Network(Malda-West Bengal) and Southern India.
- PAN India Small Arms network
- Spying network busted by NIA operated by hostile elements from Colombo
- Italian Marine case
- Busting of Indian Mujahiddin Module
- Bengaluru Church blast case.
- Makka Masjid blast Case
- Malegaon Blast Case
- Ajmer Dargah blast case
- Kerala Professor hand chopping PFI case
I.G. Special Investigation Team (SIT) -2015
As head of the special investigation team, appointed by the Hon’ble High Courtof Andhra Pradesh in 2015, monitored the investigation of the death of 20 Red sanders wood smugglers from Tamil Nadu in the Seshachalam-Tirupathi forest.
Director General of Drug Control Administration – DG- DCA (2015-2018)
Secured many convictions under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, automated the lab, drug licensing procedures and received Drug Controller General of India’s commendation for the exemplary work and won the National Intellectual Property Protection Award, 2019 by Govt.of India.(ONE LAKH CASH PRIZE)
CEO-Arogyasri Scheme : 2015-2018
He also held the post of the CEO of Flagship Arogyasri Health assurance program of A.P., for 3 years, providing assured health care for the below poverty line (BPL) population i.e.,(1.39 crore families ) of A.P. and the employees’ health of A.P, handling Rs.1500 Crores annual budget. The same program was replicated at the National level as Ayushmaan Bharath. He was a member of the National Technical committee of Ayushmaan Bharath.
I.G. Law and Order (L&O) & IG- Provisions and Logistics (P&L) – 2018-2019
Apart from Law and Order handled Provisions and Logistics i.e., purchase/tenders/procurement/supply, audit of all the commodities for Police Department.
Addl. Director General of Police (Law & Order) and Road Safety- 2019
Conducted General Elections – 2019 for the AP Legislative Assembly and Parliament seats and was awarded with Special Category Award for “Best Election Management” in India for the state of Andhra Pradesh by Election Commission of India.
Awards and Recognitions:
- AP State Govt’s Golden Nandi Award for Best Socially Relevant Documentary Film on Sorcery in 2001.
- Presidents Police Medal for Gallantry – 2002.
- Antrik Suraksha SevaPadak – 2003.
- Medallion for Outstanding Investigative Support in UN Mission in Kosovo – 2005.
- United Nations Medal for Peace Keeping in Kosovo – 2005.
- National I.T Innovation Award in E-Governance – 2006.
- Won certificate of recognition from IACP Civil Rights Commitee-2007 for eradication work on Jogini i.e., village concubinage.
- Indian Police Medal for Meritorious Service – 2010.
- National Intellectual Property Protection Award 2019 presented for drug law Enforcement for IP protection in the country, by Govt.of India.
- Best Election Management award for Lok Sabha Elections by Election Commission of India -2019
- Utkrishta Seva Padak -2018
- Ati-Utkrishta Seva Padak -2019
- Presidents Police Medal for Distinguished Service – 2020 Independence Day.
- Commendation by Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) for detecting and prosecuting Pan India spurious drugs racket.
Professional Societies and Activities in Civic, Public or International Affairs:
- Represented India in the international seminar on Management Of Disasters and Civil Emergencies-A Police Perspective held at National Police Training, Bramshill, London-October-1999.
- Member of the National Steering committee on Community Policing headed by the Director General of the Bureau of Police Research and Development-New Delhi-2002.
- Regular guest speaker at the National Police Academy on I.T applications in Policing, Anti Terror/ Post blast investigations.
- Resource person & Television teacher on the issues pertaining to combating the guerilla tactics of(Maoists) for Police Training Colleges of A.P.
- Member of the Anti-Corruption and Vigilance Professional study Circle-Andhra Pradesh.
- Member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Chairman of State committee for implementation of “Weekly off System” in all wings of Andhra Pradesh Police department – 2019.
- Member- Technical working group on implementation of Ayushman Bharat.
- Chairman –National Committee on Over the Counter (OTC) DRUGS regulation in India.
- Chairman – National Committee on Drug Laboratories Cadre Restructuring to bring uniformity across India.
- Chairman – National Committee on constitution of National Drugs Investigation and Intelligence unit.
- Member – National Technical Working Group On “Regulation and Monitoring of Aquaculture in India” with specific reference to a) Drug dosage of approved drugs in aquaculture b) Sampling techniques and testing procedures standardisation for coastal aquaculture inputs analysis c)Public notice for mandatory registration of all aqua inputs, manufacturing firms/farms/hatcheries by Coastal Aquaculture Authority (CAA).
- Member Indian delegation of Drug Controllers visit to Moscow and Barcelona for exchange of best practices.
• Publication in the UNODC – International centre Vienna compendium on “USE OF INTERNET FOR TERRORIST PURPOSES” representing India in the EGM (Expert Group Meeting) in Vienna UNODC-2012 developed by the specialized terrorism prevention branch – division for treaty affairs.
• Represented India and Presented paper on “Trans – National Crimes in INTERPOL” – Bangkok UNODC Office,2014.
• Burden, pattern and causes of Road Traffic Accidents in South India; burden, pattern and estimate of years of life lost., CHRISMED Journal of Health and ResearchReg- 2019; 6:52-6.
• “E-Governance and the Police: The Nizamabad Experiment”- in Administrative Staff College of India Journal of Management Vol-31(1 & 2), Mar 2002.
• “E-governance and the police :- The Nizamabad Experiment” September -2002 in Compendium on best practices in police – Vol I – National Police Academy – Hyderabad.
• Impact of Occupational and Psychological Stress on Police Health in South India http://www.ambonlie.org/text.asp/2018/19/2/136/248878 in Archives of Mental Health • Dial your Superintendent of Police (S.P) – Public Police Press Partnership (PPPP) – Teal of governance: Vol. LVII. No.4. Oct-Dec-2010, In the Indian Police Journal. • Documentary films and community policing – A long term crime prevention model –Vol. LX. No.3 – July – Sept-2013, in the Indian Police Journal.
• A study on spurious and not of standard quality drugs in the state of Andhra Pradesh” in African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology AJPP/27.11.2017/4874. • Enforcement of the Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954, in the State of Andhra Pradesh; situational analysis and lessons learnt. J. Pharm Health Serv. Res, 9: 47-52.doi:10.1111/jphs.12207 – Ayyanar, R. Boyanagari, M. and Shankar, M. (2018)https://doi.org/10.1111/iphs.12207.
• Profile of Breast cancer patients receiving Government sponsored free treatment and the associated Economic costs – Sumita Shankar, Manaswitha Boyanagari, Vamsi Krishna Boyanagari, Mehul Shankar, Ravi Shankar Ayyanar https://doi.rg/10.1016/j.cegh.2018.05.004
• Promoting Balanced Diet Plan for The Population of Andhra Pradesh-A Concept of Healthy Eating Based on My Plate. DOI:10.9790/0853-1610120913- Dr. Sumita Shankar, Dr. Ravi Shankar Ayyanar,Dr.B. Manaswitha, B. Vamsi Krishna, Dr. Basava Malleswara Rao.
• Profile of Children Who Underwent Surgical Correction for Orofacial Clefts in South India: A Retrospective Study. DOI : 10.15373/22778160 – Dr. Sumita Shankar, Dr. Ravi Shankar Ayyanar, Dr. BasavaMalleswara Rao, Dr. B. Manaswitha, B. Vamsi Krishna, • ClinicoEpidemiology and Management of Panfacial Fractures and the Associated Injuries in Andhra Pradesh. In. Journal. of Research. In Pharmacology & Pharmacotherapeutics Vol-5(4) 2016 [368-372] – Sumita Shankar, Manaswitha Boyanagari, Vamsi Krishna Boyanagari, MehulShankar,RaviShankarAyyanar http://www.ijrpp.com/sites/default/files/articles/IJRPP_16_417 – 368-372.PDF
• Epidemiology of Burn Injuries across Andhra Pradesh and the Practice of Systemic Antibiotic Prophylaxis.Int. J. of Res. In Pharmacology &Pharmacotherapeutics Vol- 5(4) 2016 [361-367] – Sumita Shankar, Vamsi Krishna Boyanagari, Mehul Shankar, Paramjot Panda, Ravi Shankar Ayyanar. • http://www.ijrpp.com/sites/default/files/articles/IJRPP_16_416_-_361-367.
- Best player in the All India Inter Medical College Basket ball tournament – AFMC – Pune – 1992
- Ten Out standing Young Indian Award – Junior Chamber Jaycees – 2001.
- Subroto Memorial Merit Scholarship ( Indian Air Force ) for pursuing Professional Undergraduate course in Medicine 1986-1991.
- He was Captain of the Pondicherry University basketball team-91-92, Played Junior and Senior National Basketball-1990 representing the state.
- Nature, wildlife, Anti Microbial resistance Campaigns, Making Socially relevant documentaries, Good health campaign.
- Travelled across Europe to U.K, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, France, Kosovo, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, U.S.A, Serbia, Montenegro, Dubai, Switzerland, Russia, Netherlands, Denmark, Slovakia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Nepal and Thailand